Sunday, January 2, 2011

Once upon a time, a pretty little doodlefly named Lily looked out her window on a beautiful day. The sky was blue and the sun shone happily.
"Such a pretty day shouldn't go to waste!" said Lily to herself, "I want to make someone as happy as I am today! Maybe I can help someone."
So Lily went out at ten minutes past eleven in the morning hoping to find someone she could help. After Lily had walked a bit, she found quiet Toby Porcupine sitting sadly looking at his small flowerbed.
"I shall never be able to get all of these weeds out of my flowerbed!"
And gloomily he walked away with a large tear falling to the tip of his nose.
"Oh! how sad Toby is!" Lily thought, "Maybe I can pull some weeds from his flowerbed for him! I'm sure I have time to do that before I find someone to help."
So Lily rolled up her sleeves and happily weeded Toby's flowerbed. When she had finished, she went on her way to find someone to help.
When Toby returned after Lily left, he saw that his flowerbed was weeded, and beside his flowerbed laid a pile of pulled weeds that were once in the flowerbed. Toby leaped with joy! He was so very happy! But who did it? He had no idea.
Along Lily went, hoping to find someone to help and who did she see? Why it was Susan Beaver. Susan was fidgeting around looking under bushes and trees. She looked worried.
"Oh dear! I musht find more wood to finish the dam! But for shome reashon, I cannot find any anywhere!"
Off she walked with her large beaver tail behind her, so worried that she did not even notice Lily.
"Poor Susan! I am sure I can delay my trip to collect some sticks for Susan!" said Lily to herself.
Fortunately for Lily, she was an excellent stuck stick-hunter, so it did not take her long to make a nice pile of wood for Susan.
"This should be plenty of wood for Susan! When she comes back, she can take them to the river for her dam."
It was not long before Lily was off again to find someone else to help.
When Susan returned, she saw the large pile of wood and danced a jig of joy. She was so happy when she finished her dam.
"But who would have shtopped and done that for me?" Susan wondered.
All the day, Lily would pass friends and neighbors asking if there was anything they needed help with, but everyone returned her question with a "no."
As she went along, Lily saw Clarence Turtle trying as hard as he could to carry a large bundle up a hill. Poor Clarence pulled, he huffed and puffed, but he could hardly get his bundle up the hill.
"It is so very difficult pulling this bundle up the hill! I think I will go for a swim and then pull it the rest of the way."
Lily watched him slowly walk away to the lake.
"Poor Clarence!" she thought, "I am sure I could pull this bundle up this hill!"
With much difficulty, and an occasional pause to catch her breath, Lily slowly but surly got the bundle up the hill. She was so glad that she had made it, but the day was growing shorter and she still had to find someone to help.
After she had left, Clarence made it back and was astonished to find that his large bundle was on top of the hill. He was almost moved to tears and tried to figure out who did it, but there was no one in sight.
Lily kept on, but it seemed like no one needed her help. Finally, the sun set and Lily headed home. After having a hot cup of jasmine tea and reading her book, Lily went to bed.
That night, Toby Porcupine went to sleep still so happy to have his flowerbed weeded and wishing he could thank whoever it was that had helped him; Susan Beaver was relieved to have her dam finished; and Clarence Turtle said an extra prayer for whoever it was that had helped him get his bundle up the hill.
"Maybe tomorrow I can help someone" Lily thought as she lay in her cozy bed looking at the moon through her window. Little did Lily know just how much she had helped others that day. Not only did she help others with chores and such, but even reminded them to think about happily doing the work that would then go unrewarded.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah did you write that?That is so cute!I love it!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty...when I can write whatever I want, I can make all sorts of characters like a doodlefly. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! So shweet and shimple. (I like Beever Susan's voice.) I like reads like that...so, when is another coming? :-)

    ReplyDelete