Saturday, December 24, 2011

Ode to a sweet olive, which happens to reside in my backyard:

Oh, sweet olive tree!
I feel that when I smell your sweet blossom,
That I am given a glimpse of heaven.
It is a scent that would move even the burliest of men,
But it is from a small fair bud that is comes.

What is it, sweet olive, that makes you so sweet?
That makes it seem that even on the gloomiest of days,
You would make the Sun come out for us to greet,
And persuade him with gentle plead to shine his rays?

A pure face, white and fair, you have;
An unassuming bush you seem to keep,
But if, perchance, some passerby may take a peek,
It would seem a whole garden is in but one bud you have.

That I could learn from your sweet and simple ways!
It is from you that I feel I could learn,
For it seems that from you pure love emanates,
Into that lovely scent that makes one yearn.

3 comments: