Tuesday, February 11, 2014

ice age



My dears, I will not lie...I am not one for the cold. Sure it has its perks and good things, but not when it stays with its cloudy cold-ness in my sunny Florida! I know, I know, we are spoiled here with our mostly mild winters, but this past winter has been a different sort: it has been cold! A couple of weeks ago, we had our very own "snow days," which really meant "ice days." (everyone got excited over our "snow" I had to throw that in there...) It started off with rain and then below-freezing temperatures and no sun for at least 24 hours, thus causing everything to ice.

 I woke up that morning looking out my window to a winter wonderland! Naturally I had to go out in my pajamas to document, but it's not like people were really out. Geez.

 I will admit that learning how to bundle up, riding a kitty pool down a driveway, and seeing my neighborhood transformed into an icy wonderland with most everyone out of school and work was rather fun at first! After a little while of being outside and practically losing my hands after riding Bailey, I was quite ready for the ice to leave.
 Besides all of the roads being iced and slippery, I was also not used to bridges and overpasses required to be closed. This foiled mine and Bailey's plans of treking across some of deserted Pensacola to my sister's house, but I still managed to drive over later in the day.
 'Twas a cold day, but the sun did in fact show itself at the end of the day for a lovely sunset which my film could not quite capture. Me and my buddies managed to bundle up and make it out to see the last bit of our ice age during the sunset, and Miss Nora was a good sport even though she got berry cold.
 
What I learned from the ice age:
1. It is very cold
2. My film camera also does not like the cold (it 'froze' when I attempted pressing the shutter button. Pun slightly intended)
3. Thick ice on the road has the ability to preserve a Burger King bag with fries and ketchup
4. Riding a skinny bike on slippery, icy roads may not be the best idea

3 comments:

  1. I am just now seeing this. My dear, I LOVE these photos. The first one is my favorite maybe...but then there's Norps, and well, she's really cute. I might have to keep these for myself because they are better than mine and I like your perspective!

    Ice was a novelty, yet, but I am not anxious for more myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I'm glad we were able to spend some of it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But she's...cute.

    But thank you! It was a fun project, I suppose. And I was glad to make it over! I was almost getting that panicked-drama movie feeling of, "maybe I won't make it over there!" But I did. :)

    ReplyDelete