"If I remember rightly," Sancho replied, "I've already asked you once or twice not to correct my words, if you understand what I mean by them - and if you don't understand, you can always say, 'Sancho, you devil, I don't understand you,' and if I don't make my meaning clear you can correct me, because I'm so practible..."
"I don't understand you, Sancho," Don Quixote interrupted, "I don't know what I'm so practible means."
"So practible," Sancho replied, "Means that's just the way I am."
"And now I understand you even less," Don Quixote replied.
"If you don't understand me," Sancho replied, "I don't know what else to say - that's all I know, so help me God!"
"Now I see your meaning!" Don Quixote replied. "What you intend to say is that you're so tractable, pliant and docile that you will accept everything I say, and learn whatever I teach you."
"I bet," Sancho said, "You knew exactly what I meant from the start, but you wanted to ruffle me so as to make me put my foot in it another few hundred times."
I can see this...
ReplyDeleteNow insert any other sibling into the other character's role. ;)
I have a foot like that ! :>)
ReplyDelete